My new book is out! Inside the Lost Museum: Curating, Past and Present. More about it here! Order it here!
I’m Steve Lubar. I’m a professor of American studies at Brown University. For the 2017-2018 academic year, I’ll also be a Mellon Fellow at the RISD Museum.
I publish short essays here on a range of topics, and provide links to things published elsewhere. I’m working on four interconnected areas now:
- Museums and the history of museums
- Digital humanities
- Public humanities
- Technology, making, skills, repair
You can see an archive of all of my posts here. Some of my recent favorite publications, here and elsewhere:
- “Looking through the Skiascope: Benjamin Gilman and the Invention of the Modern Museum Gallery, in Panorama
- “Museums are Places to Forget,” on Medium
- A four-part series on the history of museum catalogs, focusing on the New York Crystal Palace, on Medium
- I asked students to write the syllabus. You won’t believe what happened next.
[The views expressed on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of Brown University.]